Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Instant Gratification

We live in such a fast paced world, where information, fun, and anything else we want, is right at our finger tips. If I have to wait ten minutes for a response to a text, I start getting antsy and impatient. Sometimes waiting for a TV episode to go up on Hulu the next day is way too long to wait. I hate to wait for anything. And I think that's the general consensus everywhere.

The thing about being healthy and loosing weight is that it takes time. Sometimes a lot of time. And it's a slow, painful process, with little to show for it. So, what's the point? If it took this much energy to send or receive a text, we'd never text again! So, what makes it worth it? You do. You make it worth it, because YOU are worth it.

I have come to the realization that anything worth while in life takes time and a whole lot of effort. School. Do you know how long it takes to earn three college credits? How much work is involved? Let's not talk about earning an entire college degree. How about relationships? Do you fall in love over night? Can you build something that will last in an hour conversation? And as much as I wish that snapping my fingers like Mary Poppins would clean my house, or do my laundry, it's not going to happen. So, why should loosing weight and becoming healthy be any different? Sure, I guess you could go get lipo-suctioning, but what has changed? You will still eat the same, and have the same habits, so all that weight will probably just come back.

There is this movie called What About Bob. It's hilarious and far-fetched, but it teaches one good thing - baby steps. You have to start small, and build on that. Know that it's going to take time and effort, but that it's going to be worth it. You can get that degree, build strong, long-lasting relationships, clean your entire house, and get healthy! One day you will be able to say, I did it. And that's the best feeling in the entire world.

1 comment:

  1. Your post is similar to the one I had in mind! I guess we are both thinking the same things, haha! It's true though, we expect results yesterday and only want to put in the minimum effort. (I'm including myself in we, haha!) Patience is one of those lessons I am forever learning.

    ReplyDelete